Translate

Friday, November 14, 2014

Introducing Dr Julie Ling: Incoming CEO of the EAPC

Dr Julie Ling, PhD, takes up her new role as Chief Executive Officer of the European Association for Palliative Care on 1 January 2015. Dr Ling tells us more…
Dr Julie Ling: Incoming CEO of the EAPC
Dr Julie Ling: Incoming CEO of the EAPC

I am delighted to be asked to contribute to the EAPC blog in my new role as incoming CEO of the EAPC. I would like to acknowledge the work of my predecessor, Heidi Blumhuber, who has been CEO of the EAPC for the past twenty-five years and who has overseen the establishment, growth and development of the organisation.

I originally qualified as a nurse. Since then, I have worked in palliative care in England and Ireland for the past twenty-five years in both adult and children’s palliative care. During this time I have worked clinically, in research, in policy and also in management. I have represented palliative care at a national level most notably during my time as an adviser in the Department of Health, in Dublin. In this post I was involved in the development and implementation of the Irish palliative care policy and also involved in several international initiatives.
I am currently a member of several national palliative care groups in Ireland and for the past six years I worked at a European level though my contribution as a member of an EAPC taskforce on children’s palliative care. I was chair of the EAPC taskforce on education in children’s palliative care, which has recently completed its work resulting in the publication of the EAPC’s White paper on core competencies for education in paediatric palliative care.

The aim of the EAPC is to promote palliative care in Europe and to act as a focus for all of those who work or have an interest in this field of healthcare. The EAPC is an organisation that prides itself on professional representation and nurtures the development of the specialty through research and education. I understand the essential role of research and have worked in many aspects of research in palliative care in particular during my time working at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London. More recently, I completed a PhD in children’s palliative care. I have written and published on various aspects of palliative care and am also on the editorial board of the International Journal of Palliative Nursing.

Since starting my career in palliative care I have been an active member of the EAPC and over the years have attended many of the EAPC congresses. Within the palliative care community these events are generally regarded as the premier palliative care conference and they remain essential events for both knowledge exchange and for networking. I look forward to working with the EAPC Board of Directors and with those elected at the forthcoming congress in Copenhagen (8-10 May 2015).

As CEO I am committed to building on the strong foundations of my predecessor and continuing the work of the organisation to ensure that over the coming years the EAPC moves forward in a strategic and meaningful way in order to fulfill its vision, and continues to meet the needs of the healthcare professionals it represents for the benefit of patients and families.
Links

No comments:

Post a Comment