Translate

Friday, November 14, 2014

How physiotherapy helps with cachexia: Reflections on an EAPC Young Researcher Award

Dr Matthew Maddocks, National Institute of Health Research Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Cicely Saunders Institute, King’s College London, UK
Dr Matthew Maddocks receives his award and prize from Professor Franco De Conno
Dr Matthew Maddocks receives his award and prize from Professor Franco De Conno

I recently returned from the 7th EAPC World Research Congress complete with an Oxford Textbook of Palliative Care, which was presented as part of my prize as joint runner up of the 2012 Young Researcher Award. The award recognised my work with Andrew Wilcock around the role of therapeutic exercise in cancer cachexia. In many fulfilling years at the University of Nottingham I helped examine the use of physical activity level as an outcome measure and the role of neuromuscular electrical stimulation as a practical exercise therapy for patients experiencing a high level of symptom burden.

The award came at an important time professionally as I am beginning to find my feet, both as an independent researcher and among new colleagues within the Cicely Saunders Institute, King’s College London. The recognition gained has served both to boost my confidence and reinforce my aspiration to be a leader in my field. A special moment during the presentation of the award by Professor Franco De Conno was the recognition of the role physiotherapy has to play in the development of palliative care practice and research. If true multidisciplinary research is to be achieved, it must reflect the contributions of a range of allied health professionals and I am proud to be playing my part, small though it is.

PS I must admit to not returning with the aforementioned textbook. Rather, it followed me, safe in the hands of Professor Irene Higginson who kindly offered to help me out as I’d travelled to Trondheim only with hand luggage.

Find out more…
For physiotherapists interested in palliative care, the EAPC Taskforce on Education for Physiotherapists in Palliative Care  provides a network of physiotherapists in palliative care throughout Europe, and internationally.
The Early Researcher Award (formerly Young Investigator Award) was created as an annual award by the EAPC in 2009. This award is designed to recognise the work of young (novice) scientists and clinicians in the field of palliative care who have recently made, or are currently making an outstanding contribution to research. It aims to highlight their personal career development and their potential for the future. The 2013 Early Researcher Award will be made at the 13th EAPC World Congress in Prague in 2013. Click here for more information and look out on this blog for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment