Translate

Monday, August 18, 2014


Talking About Hard Truths And End-Of-Life Care

Guest post written by Dr. John Maa
Dr. John Maa is past-president of the Northern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons.

The cost of end-of-life care jeopardizes the long term viability of Medicare. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services estimates that more than 25 percent of Medicare spending is directed to the 5 percent of beneficiaries who die each year, with a third of that cost in the last month of life. 

The health reform debate in America has been hampered by a lack of progress about end of life care and medical futility. The following story may offer a new starting point to restart the dialogue.
One day on call I was asked to evaluate a patient with stomach cancer for resection. The patient was an 82 year old woman, who was bundled in blankets with two of her adult children at her bedside. She did not speak English, and I obtained her history from the children, who provided translation.

She had been diagnosed months before with a stomach cancer. She had already undergone chemotherapy and radiation at another hospital. But the doctors felt that her situation was too advanced, and as the tumor had not responded to treatment, that further surgery was unlikely to be helpful.

So the family requested transfer for a second opinion. I was now being asked to attempt palliative surgery for local control. As I removed the blankets, I noted she was quite emaciated, and had a firm palpable mass in the left upper abdomen. After I completed the physical exam, but before I could offer my opinion to the patient, the children asked if they could speak with me outside of her room.
The children shared that they did not want their mother to be told she had advanced gastric cancer. I was asked to attempt surgery, and to only tell the patient that we had placed a feeding tube for nutrition, but not reveal the cancer diagnosis.
I wondered how the family and doctors at the other hospital had explained the need for chemotherapy and radiation without disclosing the truth to the patient? Caught by surprise, this request made a complex situation even more unclear. We returned to the bedside, and I briefly explained to the patient that I would review the xrays and return the following day with further recommendations.

Not disclosing the truth to the patient seemed unwise.
 I pondered other options:

 1) Decline to participate in the care of this patient, and refer her to a colleague who might be willing to honor the children’s request. 
2) Return with a translator and explain the full truth to the patient. 
3) Contact the ethics committee. 
4) Concur with the recommendation of the doctors at the referring hospital and decline to offer an operation.

Ultimately, I chose a different option. I returned the next day, and stated to the children that their mother might wish to know the truth and spend her remaining days outside of the hospital enjoying life, rather than undergoing possibly futile treatment. I indicated that I would be willing to perform an operation in an attempt to remove the tumor, and would place a feeding tube if resection was not possible. I would leave the decision to the children to inform their mother of the operative findings. However, I also indicated that in my opinion the ethical action would be to tell her the difficult reality of the situation, and that surgery would be unlikely to impact the final outcome.

After a lengthy discussion, the children chose to tell their mother the truth. She made the decision to decline further treatment, and travel the world. I saw her a final time before she left the hospital, and with them translating, she thanked me for convincing her children to reveal to her what she had always suspected to be true. Perhaps the time has arrived for America to honestly and intelligently discuss health care rationing and end of life care to save Medicare?

John Maa M.D. is past-president of the Northern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons. In 2009, HealthLeaders Magazine named his as one of the top “20 people who make healthcare better in America.”

No comments:

Post a Comment